Featured Post

Orphans and the world at large

Losing a parent is undoubtedly a traumatic experience for any child. It is an experience that will follow that child, likely playing a larg...

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

My Sister ! My Friend ( 3 )

Talking to people about my wonderful sister is actually helping me cope.

I am also learning now that While your sibling may have been a pivotal person in your life, he or she may have been insignificant to others who now are quite important parts of your life. 

  For this reason, your friends may not understand your grief or help you with it in the way they could if someone they knew well had died. They may not understand what the loss means to you or why it affects you like it does, since they did not know you when your sibling was more a part of your life.

I have known Abby as a child and she is a part of my past. I remember unique and intimate experiences that we had.  Like seeing ourselves in embarrassing situations, participating in family jokes against each other, being hurt by childhood insensitivity, and so forth.

Though our perceptions may have been quite different at the time of her death, because of the people we have become , the fact remains that we have known ourselves for a long time and the unique co-history we share is a very important bond between us.


When death takes your sister, it also takes away one of your connections to the past, someone who knew you in a very special way, totally unlike those who know you now as an adult.

Although I did not have frequent contact with her due to distance, I cherished the little that we could afford, at least I knew that she was always there when I called, text or skype .


Thinking about Abby and praying for others who are sad today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit us often to see your donations at work

Blog Archive

Followers